Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. – The City of Springfield held a news conference on Sunday, March 22, 2020 to update the community on the city’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.
The City of Springfield issued a strong recommendation to “Shelter in Place” following the executive order signed this morning by Governor Bill Lee. This is not a mandate at this time; however, we are strongly encouraging citizens and employers to act responsibly. For detailed recommendations, view the recorded news conference available on the city’s website (www.springfield-tn.org).
Governor Lee’s executive order requires that, effective at midnight tonight:
1. People should not participate in social gatherings of 10 or more,
2. People should not eat or drink on site at restaurants, bars, or other similar food or drink establishments. These establishments are limited to drive-through, pickup, carry-out, or delivery service for food or drink.
3. Gyms and fitness or exercise centers or substantially similar facilities shall not be open to members or the public.
4. People shall not visit nursing homes, retirement homes, or long-term care or assisted living facilities, unless providing essential assistance or to visit residents receiving imminent end-of-life care, provided that such visits may be accomplished without unreasonable risk, and
5. Businesses should further consider implementing measures to protect our most vulnerable populations. For offices, workplaces, and businesses that remain open, employees should work from home where feasible, and employees and their customers should practice good hygiene and observe the necessary precautions advised by the President and the CDC to reduce the spread of the virus.
6. The order also temporarily suspended state or local laws, orders, or rules to the extent necessary to allow restaurants and limited service restaurants and wine-only restaurants to sell for take-out or delivery alcoholic beverages or beer
The governor’s order does not mandate sheltering in place and does not prohibit persons from visiting places necessary to maintain health and economic well-being, including grocery stores, gas stations, parks, banks, so long as they observe the CDC regulations to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Visit the city’s website (www.springfield-tn.org) for the most up-to-date information.
# # #