Public Records Request
Tennessee residents may request public records by completing FORM A and submitting to the City of Springfield Public Records Request Coordinator (PRRC) at . Proof of Tennessee residency by presentation of a valid Tennessee driver's license or alternative acceptable form of ID is required as a condition to inspect or receive copies of public records.
Inspection of Records
- There shall be no charge for inspection of public records.
- The location for the inspection of records within the offices of the City of Springfield shall be determined by either the PRRC or the records custodian.
- When a reasonable basis exists, the PRRC or a records custodian may require an appointment for inspection.
Copies of Records
- A records custodian shall promptly respond to a public record request for copies in the most economic and efficient manner practicable.
- Copies will be available for pickup at Springfield City Hall, 405 North Main Street, Springfield TN
- Upon payment for postage, copies will be delivered to the requestor's home address by the United States Postal Service.
- A requestor will not be allowed to make copies of records with personal equipment. Requestors may purchase storage devices from the City of Springfield upon which the records will be downloaded.
Procedures for Billing and Payment
- The Records custodian shall provide the requestor with an itemized estimate of the charges prior to producing copies of records and payment in advance will be required when estimated costs exceed $25.00.
Fees and Charges
- $0.15 per page for letter or legal size black and white copies
- $0.50 per page for letter or legal size color copies
- The actual cost of any other medium upon which a record/information is being produced.
- Labor when time exceeds one hour.
- If an outside vendor is used, the actual costs assessed by the vendor.
Payment is to be made with cash or check made payable to the City of Springfield and presented to the City Clerk. Payment may also be made using a credit card. Please note: All credit card payments will be charged a 2.75% convenience fee from the credit card processor. The City of Springfield does not receive any portion of the convenience fee.
The Tennessee Public Records Act (TPRA) grants Tennessee citizens the right to access open public records that exist at the time of the request. The TPRA does not require records custodians to compile information or create or recreate records that do not exist.
To view the complete Public Records Policy click here.