Steps to Take in an Emergency If you encounter a gas leak or a suspected gas leak, you should immediately take the following steps to protect yourself and others in the area:
Leave the area immediately.
Do not light a match, start an engine, use a telephone (in the area), operate a light switch or do anything that would create a spark.
If you smell a faint odor of natural gas inside your home or business:
If the source of the odor cannot be located or corrected, call the Springfield Gas Department immediately, they are available 24 hours a day. A representative will come to your home or business and make an inspection at no charge to you.
If a strong or persistent odor of natural gas is present in your home or business, or if you hear a hissing sound of escaping natural gas, follow this procedure:
Get everyone out of the building immediately.
Leave the door open.
Use a neighbor's phone or cellular phone outside of the building to call the Springfield Gas Department at 615-382-1621 or after hours at 615-384-0008.
Do not operate any electrical switches, appliance controls, or pull any plugs from outlets.
Do not use the telephone in the building.
If possible, ventilate the building by opening doors and windows at top and bottom by starting where the odor is strongest. Do not re-enter the building for this purpose.